Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

"Becoming Enlightened" by His Holiness The Dalai Lama

I have read several of His Holiness The Dalai Lama's books.  They've all been great so far and devoured each book quickly because I couldn't put them down.  I wasn't as fond of Becoming Enlightened as I am of some of his other books.  It wasn't bad, it just took me several months to get through a fairly small book.



That's not to say that I didn't learn anything from the book.  Here are a few things that really stood out for me:

"For example, when you want to know whether or not there is dirt or the like on your face, you find out by looking in a mirror and then remove the stain.  Similarly, when you listen to the teachings, the faults that have developed in your behavior appear in the mirror of the teachings, and you will generate a sense of discomfort, 'My mind has become like this!'  Then you will work to clear away those faults and achieve favorable qualities."

"Fortunately, the bad effects of a nonvirtuous action can be mitigated, in four ways:  by disclosing it, by regretting having done it, by intending not to do it in the future, and by engaging in virtuous actions, such as public service."

"Since this body of complete leisure and opportunity
Was very difficult to get, and once obtained
Will be very difficult to have again,
Make it meaningful by striving at practice." - Atisha

"Just as the shadows of birds in the sky
Move along with them,
Beings are followed by
The right and wrong they have done." - Buddha

"Others can make your body beautiful, but only you can make your mind beautiful."

I would still recommend reading it.  The Dalai Lama is full of insight and wisdom that we should learn from in any way we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment