Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Delicious Bakery Review: Pete's Birthday Cake

From our wedding cakes to birthday cakes, we always had Ganache Bakery in Greensboro make our cakes.  Our favorite was their "Black Cow" cake: layers of chocolate cake with cream cheese icing covered in ganache.  When we found out they closed, we were devastated.  So, we resorted to Harris Teeter decorated sheet cakes for a while.  Here's a not-so-healthy fact about me: I love what I call the "lard icing."  Don't give me that whippy stuff.  I love that thick, make-your-teeth-fall-out buttercream icing.  But you can only do so much with a Harris Teeter or Food Lion sheet cake.  My husband is the greatest and he deserves a spectacular cake.


I saw one of their cakes on Facebook (to be exact, it was THE cutest sleepover birthday cake, ever!!!).  If they could do something that elaborate, surely they could add a little something special for Pete's birthday cake.

I went into the store on Wednesday to check out their cakes.  I am not a fan of dry cakes at all and if the cake part tastes nasty, no amount of icing in the world can make it taste good.  The piece of cake I tried at Delicious was moist and tasted great with the vanilla buttercream icing that was on it.  I was sold.  To counter my not-so-healthy fact about me, here's a healthy fact about Pete: he loves sushi.  Not just loves, but LOOOVVEEESSSSSS sushi.  I asked them if they could put maybe three little pieces of fondant sushi on the cake.  I wasn't expecting anything too big or elaborate.  Just a little extra something.

Fast-forward to this afternoon.  When I went to pick up the cake, my jaw almost hit the floor.  I was not expecting what the cake looked like.  Chopsticks?!?!?! Wasabi?!?!?! Is that ginger?!?!?!  Little rice sprinkles?!?!?!  The cake took my breath away.


Delicious Bakery went above and beyond what I had envisioned the cake to look like.  The chopsticks and the wasabi are what threw me over the top.  Their attention to detail is amazing.  Several people thought that the chopsticks were real.



Ok, so it looked cute. That doesn't mean anything if it doesn't taste good.  In order to try to replicate our "Black Cow" cake from Ganache, I ordered the cake with chocolate layers, cream cheese icing, and covered in Ganache.  It tasted wonderful.  The cake was very moist and I didn't see any leftovers on anyone's plates.

I wish that I had taken a picture of Pete when he saw it.  He had such a big grin on his face.  Heck, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face when I picked it up this afternoon.

Everyone raved about the cake, and I will definitely order from Delicious Bakery in the future.  I'm already thinking up random excuses to throw a party and random cake ideas. Finished kitchen remodel party, anyone????

No comments:

Post a Comment